Friday 11 January 2013

D-I-Y Giraffe Nursery Art Christening gift

Hi everyone I have been making a gift for a friend's baby and I thought it would make an excellent tutorial to share with you all so here goes my first craft tutorial :)





Tools Needed...


They are not necessary, but some items will make the job a little easier.

  • Template you can use mine or draw your own
  • 3 different contrasting Fabric's (I used old clothes I like to upcycle)
  • Dressmaking scissors
  • Kitchen scissors (So not to blunt the other when cutting paper)
  • pins or safety pins
  • Iron
  • Fusible Web Applique paper
  • Needle and embroidery thread in you choice of colour 
  • Box frame (I used a 10 x 10 inch box frame)
  • Pen/pencil
  • Printer
  • Sewing Machine & Thread


Step by step Instructions



  • First off print out my template or draw your own (Sorry I did not photograph this stage as I had not decided to do the tutorial :( yet)
  • Trace the design onto the fusible web (Remember if you are drawing your own it will be revered in my template the giraffe is already reversed for you)
  • now cut around the design leaving a small border (put the leaf to the side we will use that later)
  • Select the fabric for the giraffe's body and lay the fusible paper on the back you will now need to iron it for a few seconds and the paper will bond.
  • Now cut neatly around the design
  • Next choose your backing fabric cut this 1 inch all around bigger than the size of your frame.
  • Peel of the backing paper on the giraffe and position on the backing fabric and iron into place
  • Next we need to embroider the words write the word onto the leaf that you have printed or drawn.

  • Now pin this onto your leaf fabric
  • Take the embroidery thread (I used 3 threads from the 6 but use as many as you like)
  • Tie and knot on the end and stitch over the words into the fabric perforating the paper as you go. I used backstitch and kept my stitches about 1mm long but again you can use whatever stitch you like.

  • When you have stitched over all the words cut away any excess paper with the kitchen scissors.   


  • Now cut a piece of the fusible interface bigger than the leaf and iron onto the back now cut out the leaf


  • Carefully peel away the paper (you can moisten if its hard to remove)

  • Remove leaf backing paper and iron into position. 
  • You can leave the design as it is now and frame
  • OR you can use a sewing machine to sew around the design which I what I have done I used zigzag stitch length 1.5 and width 2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment